Exercise is one of the most effective ways to treat diabetes naturally and keep your blood sugar under control.
Yoga is one of the best holistic exercises that not only helps heal diabetes but also improves your overall health.
Here are some of the world’s most effective and proven yoga poses that will help you get rid of diabetes at home and also boost your mental and physical well being.
Crocodile Pose (Makarasana) Can Help You Control Diabetes
The crocodile pose is an easy exercise that helps stimulate the digestive system, improves kidney and liver function, and helps manage diabetes.
It also relieves stress from the spine and calms the mind by enabling diaphragmatic breathing.
Steps for performing this pose are as follows.
- Lie down on the floor or mat with your stomach, chest and chin touching the floor.
- Spread your legs about shoulder width apart with your toes pointing outwards
- Slide both your hands towards your head and place them one on top of the other with palms facing downward and then rest your forehead on top of your forearms.
- Take three deep breaths and let your whole body relax.
- Start breathing normally and relax in this pose for about a minute.
- To come out of the pose, bring your feet together, stretch your hands out in front, and then raise yourself up by pushing down on your palms and knees.
Lower Your Blood Sugar By Practicing Cow Head Pose (Gomukhasana)
This pose stretches the back, shoulders, arms and chest muscles and stimulates the functioning of kidneys. It increases relaxation in the body and helps reduce high blood pressure and diabetes.
Here is how to perform this exercise.
- Sit with your legs stretched out in front of you and your hands to your sides.
- Bend the right leg at the knee and bring the right knee towards your left side.
- Now bend your left leg over your right leg and place the left knee directly over your right knee with your left foot towards your right buttock.
- Make your spine erect and sit straight.
- Now bend your right arm over your right shoulder and stretch out your hand as much as possible.
- Bend your left hand and place it on your back.
- Now slowly slide your left hand towards your right hand until you can clasp together the fingers of both hands.
- It is ok if you are initially unable to touch the fingers of both hands to each other. With regular practice you would be able to do this eventually.
- Hold this pose for 30 seconds while breathing normally.
- Release your hands and legs and do the pose on the other side so that now the left knee is over the right knee and then take your left hand over your left shoulder and clasp the right hand behind your back.
- Hold this pose for 30 seconds while breathing normally.
Cure Diabetes Naturally With Cobra Pose (Bhujangasan)
Cobra pose stimulates the adrenal glands, digestive system, thyroid gland, kidneys and increases your lung capacity. It also improves blood circulation and strengthens the heart.
It stimulates the body to produce hormones which help control diabetes.
Here are the steps to perform Cobra pose.
- Lie down on your stomach with your feet about shoulder width apart and your toes touching the floor. Head should be resting on the ground
- Bring your palms near your shoulders with palms pressing onto the floor.
- Inhale and lift your head, chest and upper abdomen off the floor while keeping your navel touched to the floor.
- Bend your neck backwards, raise you head and look at the ceiling.
- You will feel a stretch in your back and the bulk of your weight should be supported by your back muscles with only minimal weight being rested on the hands.
- Hold this position for 30 seconds while taking slow deep breaths.
- Exhale and come back down and touch your head to the floor.
- Repeat the pose 3 more times.
Head To Knee Forward Bend (Janu Sirshasana) Can Help Reduce High Blood Sugar
The head-to-knee pose stimulates the liver and kidneys and helps fight diabetes naturally. It relieves high blood pressure, improves digestion, reduces anxiety, heals insomnia and helps calm your mind.
Steps for performing the head to knee pose are as follows.
- Sit on a mat or blanket with both legs stretched out straight in front of you and your spine erect.
- Bring the sole of your left foot towards the inside of your right thigh and gently press it into the thigh. Left leg’s shin must be at an angle of 90 degrees or more to the right thigh. If there is any discomfort in the left knee you can place a blanket under it for additional cushion.
- Place your hands on the floor one on each side behind you and by pressing your fingers into the ground gently twist yourself to bring your belly in alignment with the middle of your right thigh and look straight ahead.
- Take a deep breath in and lengthen your spine as much as possible.
- Exhale and gently start bending forward as much as you can, and try to bring your head as close to your right knee as possible. You can wrap a strap or piece of cloth around the sole of your right foot and pull on it so that you are able to bend forward more easily.
- Hold the pose for 30 seconds while breathing normally, and then gently rise back up and make your spine erect.
- Now repeat the pose with the other leg bent.
Cure Type 2 Diabetes With Locust Pose (Shalabhasana )
Locust pose can help treat diabetes naturally by strengthening your core muscles and by improving the functioning of your internal organs and digestive system.
This pose increases the strength of your back muscles and removes stress built up in the body from leaning forward. It also helps expand the lungs and improves your breathing capacity.
Here is how to perform the locust pose.
- Lie down on a mat with your stomach and forehead touching the floor and your arms at your sides, palms facing upwards and feet stretched out straight about hip-width apart.
- Breathe in and lift your head, chest, shoulders and arms away from the floor.
- Lengthen your neck and look forward keeping your head aligned with your spine.
- Rotate the hands so that your thumbs point towards the floor.
- Now raise your legs up while pressing down into your pelvis.
- Only your bottom ribs, abdomen and pelvis should now be in contact with the floor.
- Raise your torso and legs as high as possible.
- Lengthen your legs and rotate the front of your thighs towards each other.
- Hold the position for 30 seconds while breathing normally.
- Exhale and slowly lower your body back to the floor.
- You can place a towel beneath your hips to provide additional cushion if you feel any pain in your hips when raising your legs up.
Half Spinal Twist Pose (Ardha Matsyendrasana) Will Help Manage Diabetes Naturally
This pose helps treat diabetes naturally by giving a deep massage to your internal organs and helping them restore back to normal functioning.
It also stretches your spine and removes the stiffness in your joints. This exercise helps relieve back problems, improves digestion, increases blood circulation and helps heal menstrual and urinary disorders.
Here is how you do the half spinal twist pose.
- Sit on a mat with your legs stretched out in front of you and spine erect.
- Fold your left leg over your right leg and place the heel of your left foot beside your right buttock.
- Slide your right leg under the bent left leg and touch your left buttock with the heel of your right foot.
- Twist your shoulders, neck and waist to your left side keeping your spine straight.
- Place your left hand behind you and press your right elbow on to the outer side of your bent left knee to further increase the stretch in your spine.
- Hold the pose for 30 seconds and breathe normally
- Exhale, release both your hands from their positions and return your body back to straight position.
- Repeat the pose on the other side and hold it similarly for 30 seconds, then return back to normal and stretch your legs straight.
Extended Side Angle Pose (Utthita Parsvakonasana) Can Lower Blood Glucose Effectively
This standing exercise is great for treating diabetes patients as it stimulates the abdominal organs including the pancreas and also stretches the chest, ankles, hips, hamstrings and knees thus giving you a full body workout.
It increases your stamina and also relieves back pains.
Steps for performing the extended side angle yoga pose are as follows.
- Stand erect with your feet about leg-width apart from each other and your heels positioned in line with one another.
- Turn out your right foot at a 45 degree angle so that your right toes are pointing sideways and your left toes are pointing towards the front.
- Raise both your hands on your sides and make them parallel to the floor.
- Breathe out and bend your right knee to make your right thigh parallel to the floor. Keep your back erect and make sure your torso doesn’t lean in any direction.
- Your right shin must remain perpendicular to the floor throughout the pose.
- Bring your right hand down on the outside of your right foot and touch the floor with your fingers. If you are unable to touch the floor, you can use a block for support and touch the block instead of the floor.
- Raise your left hand towards the ceiling with your palm facing you and stretch your upper arm over your head keeping your arm close to your left ear.
- Ensure that the neck and spine are elongated and in line with each other.
- Look up towards the ceiling and rotate your chest slightly upwards while keeping your balance on both feet.
- Hold the pose for about 30 seconds while breathing normally.
- Inhale and release the pose to come back to neutral starting position.
- Repeat the pose on the other side.
Practice Tree Pose (Vrikshasan) To Reverse Type 2 Diabetes At Home
The Tree Pose is a very good yoga exercise to treat diabetes naturally.
This exercise helps your body to decrease blood sugar levels by increasing insulin production in the pancreas.
It also helps to calm your mind and increases stamina, immunity and concentration.
Here are the steps to perform Tree Pose.
- Stand upright with your feet close to each other.
- Bend your right leg and place your right foot on top of your left thigh keeping the toes pointing towards the floor.
- Your right thigh should now be almost at right angle to your left thigh.
- Take a deep breath in and bring your arms in front of your and touch your palms to each other.
- Keep taking deep breaths and maintain this pose for about 30 seconds while balancing on your left leg.
- Maintain your spine in an erect posture and feel your body stretch from fingers to toes.
- Exhale deeply and bring down your right foot back to the floor.
- Now repeat steps 2 to 7 by lifting your left leg instead of your right.
- Repeat the pose 2 more times, once with left leg and once with right leg.
Perform Hare Pose (Shashankasana) Regularly And Get Rid Of Diabetes Quickly
The hare pose helps cure diabetes by regulating hormone production in the body.
It also relaxes the mind, improves blood circulation and removes stiffness in your joints, thus making you more flexible. It improves functioning of liver, spleen and stomach.
Here is how you perform the Hare pose.
- Sit on the floor with your feet stretched out before you and spine erect.
- Bend your right leg at the knee, pull your right foot towards you and place it beneath your right buttock.
- Similarly bend your left leg and place your left foot underneath your left buttock.
- You should be sitting on your feet with the big toes just touching each other.
- Place your palms on your knees.
- Now take a deep breath in and raise your hands upwards until they are fully stretched
- Breathe out and bend forward at the waist keeping your hands straight.
- Bend as far forward as possible and try to touch your forehead to the floor and also touch your palms to the floor without bending your elbows.
- Stay in this bent position for about 30 seconds while breathing normally.
- Take a deep breath in and rise back up with your hands still stretched out.
- Breathe out and bring your hands down and place your palms on your knees.
Seated Forward Bend Pose (Paschimottanasana) Is A Proven Treatment For Diabetes
Paschimottasana is considered one of the best yoga exercises for diabetes in particular and for maintaining a healthy metabolism in general.
It activates your pancreas and other inner vital organs and stimulates hormone production. If you can only practice one yoga exercise, then practice the seated forward bend pose.
With enough practice you will master this pose and thus master diabetes.
Steps for performing the seated forward bend pose are as follows.
- Sit with your spine erect and your legs stretched out straight in front of you on the floor.
- Push your heels into the ground and pull your toes inwards towards you.
- Breathe in and raise your arms over your head, stretching out your spine as much as possible.
- Breathe out and bend at the hips. Keeping your spine as straight as possible, start bending downwards and move your head towards your knees.
- With your hands reach forward and try to grab your toes, if possible, else grab on to your ankles or calves.
- Stretch your lower back as much as possible.
- Stay in the pose as long as possible while breathing normally. With each breath in stretch your spine a little bit more.
- Finally, breathe in and rise up.
Regulate Your Blood Sugar With Fish Pose (Matsyasana)
Fish Pose is a very good yoga for treating diabetes naturally because it helps in managing the function of pituitary and thyroid gland.
It stretches and tones all the organs in your abdominal region including your pancreas and also improves your posture. This pose also helps strengthen your lungs and releases emotional stress.
Here are the steps to perform fish pose
- Lie down on the floor or mat with your legs stretched out in front of you with the feet touching each other and your spine straight. Your hands should be on either side of your body close to the torso with palms facing downwards.
- Slide your hands underneath your buttocks and lie on them.
- Inhale, raise your torso up, look at your toes, puff your chest upwards, curve your neck back and rest the top of your head on the floor thus creating an arch in your back.
- Press your shoulder blades into your back to create more support for your neck.
- At this point most of your body weight should be resting on your buttocks and elbows.
- Take a deep breath in and stretch your torso as much as possible by pushing your chest upwards.
- Remain in this pose for 30 seconds while breathing slowly and deeply.
- To come out of the pose, inhale and bring your chest down, lift your head up and look at your toes, exhale and then lie you head down on the floor.
- Slide out your hands from underneath you and then rest for a moment.
Shoulder Stand Pose (Sarvangasana) Can Heal Diabetes Permanently
The shoulder stand pose is called Sarvangasana (sarv = all, anga = parts, asana = posture) because it stimulates all parts of the body.
It is called the queen of all poses. It stimulates the thyroid gland, activates the digestive system and circulatory system and provides relief from anxiety and stress. It also helps in burning fat and decreasing high blood pressure.
Overall, it is one of the best exercises a diabetic patient can do. Though the pose may seem scary at first, with regular practice you will start experiencing its wonderful benefits.
If you have any neck problems, be sure to place few thick blankets under your shoulders when performing the pose.
Here is how to perform the shoulder stand pose.
- Lie on your back over a mat or blanket with your feet straight and your spine stretched out and hands on either side of your body.
- Press into the floor with your hands for support and gently raise both your legs up till your feet point towards the ceiling.
- Now let your legs gently fall backwards behind you until you feel slight pressure on your neck.
- Try to touch the floor with your feet. If your feet cannot touch the ground, let them rest on a cushion or pillow so that there is no strain on your neck.
- Interlock the fingers of both your hands and clasp your hands with each other, keeping them on the floor.
- Gently slide your shoulders one at a time, until your spine is as erect as possible.
- Now place your hands on your lower back for support and press your elbows into the floor.
- Slowly bend your knees and using the hands at your back for support, raise your legs so that your knees are just above your forehead and your feet point upwards.
- Now extend your legs upward, stretch your legs completely straight and point towards the ceiling with your toes. Your spine and legs should be in alignment.
- Hold the pose for few deep breaths.
- Slowly come out of the pose by bending your knees and lowering your legs towards the floor, one at a time.
Reclined Thunderbolt Pose (Supta Vajrasana) Is The Best Exercise For Diabetes
This exercise increases blood circulation to the inner organs, including the pancreas, adrenal glands and digestive system which help in reducing the effects of diabetes and increasing insulin production in the body.
It also stretches the lungs and helps improve lung capacity, relieves stress in the spinal vertebrae and strengthens your back muscles. It also helps calm the mind and relieves anxiety.
Follow these steps to perform this pose.
- Start by sitting on the floor with your feet stretched out straight and spine erect with your hands by your sides.
- Bend your right leg and place your right foot beside your right buttock and then bend your left leg and bring your left foot next your left buttock.
- You should now be seated between your feet with your spine straight. This pose is called Vajrasana or thunderbolt pose.
- Put both your palms on the floor besides your buttocks with fingers pointing forward.
- Pressing into the floor with your hands, gently lower your back on to the floor by lowering your left elbow to the floor, followed by the right elbow.
- Touch the crown of your head to the floor and arch your spine upwards.
- Place your hands on your thighs and keep the lower part of your legs in contact with the floor.
- Breathe deeply and relax your body in this pose for about 30 seconds.
- Gently reverse the steps to come out of the pose.